Search

Search for a tour by category:

Search site:

Beard’s Hollow

A rocky indentation at the base of a precipice, is visible from an overlook. The hollow was named for Captain E. N. Beard, commander of the bark Vandelia, which foundered off the mouth of the Columbia in 1853. All hands were lost, and the ship was found floating bottom side up near McKenzie Head. Captain Beard’s body was found on the beach below present Beard’s Hollow.