Search

Search for a tour by category:

Search site:

Benton City

Settled in 1909, it grew considerably in ensuing decades in population and activity, in harmony with the development of the surrounding area. The town was named for Benton S. Grosscup, who aided in securing separation of Benton County from Yakima County. Today, it is home to several wineries; this town and surrounding areas draw a fair amount of wine tourism.

Images

Ca. 1920 railroad crossing in Benton City.

Source: Washington State Digital Archives

Historic view of the listed Benton City-Kiona Bridge.

Source: Washington Dept. of Archaeology and Historic Preservation

Points of Interest Points of Interest icon

Benton City-Kiona Bridge

Completed in 1957, the significant engineering features of this bridge are its use of towers and inclined ties or “stays” to support a span suspended between two long-span sections cantilevering from a main pier, and its innovative use of both concrete and steel components in the design. The bridge replaced an earlier crossing.

Kendall Holstein Dairy

Built in 1913, the barn sports a gambrel roof, cupola and silo.