Although it no longer exists, the Pirates’ Lair, was a huge rustic inn. It was constructed of driftwood and planking from wrecked ships, with ship fittings decorating the interior. When it operated, a great stone fireplace blazed with beach logs that, salt-soaked, burned with colored flames. A ship’s bell sounded the call to meals.
Today the area is a wooded shoreline with the point projecting a half mile beyond the general shoreline of Whidbey Island. In 1841, it was named Point Leavett by Cmdr. Charles Wilkes for a member of his crew. It was changed by U.S. Coast Survey for the point’s growth of trees and bushes in 1855.