On the military reservation, stands on the tall headland named by Captain John Meares, who rounded the cape in 1788. Captain Meares, failing to perceive that be was at the outlet of a great river, named the cape in chagrin. The sheltered water behind the cape, now known as Baker Bay, he named Deception Bay. Shuttles from the parking areas take visitors to the lighthouse, who can also walk there. This entire area, over 1,800 acres including both lighthouses as well as Fort Canby, is presently maintained and operated by Washington State Parks as Cape Disappointment State Park (www.parks.wa.gov). In addition to the structures that comprise the Cape Disappointment Historic District, the area offers hiking, boating, fishing, clamming and other recreational activities. The Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center sits 200 feet above the ocean and is open year-round.