Search

Search for a tour by category:

Search site:

Clallam Bay

Named for the bay, which was listed on British Admiralty Charts in 1846 by Capt. Henry Kellet as Callam, his Anglicized version of the Native American name. The name of the bay, might be Kla-kla-wice; however, Kellet attempted to reproduce the tribal name, which was S’klah-lam or Do-sklal-ob, meaning big, strong nation.

By the 1940s the town featured a hotel, store, a few weathered buildings, and a long dock.

Today, while only remnants of the dock remain, the historic keeper’s residence (1905) for the Slip Point Light Station that guided vessels past Clallam Bay still exists.

West of Clallam Bay the road follows along the Strait. Across the Strait Vancouver Island appears, a blue mist in the distance.

Points of Interest Points of Interest icon

Slip Point Light Station Keeper’s Residence

This structure, typical of the housing constructed for lighthouse keepers around the turn of the century, is probably the best preserved of those remaining. Identical quarters were constructed at Burrows Island. Similar ones were built at Turn Point and Patos Island. With more the appearance of a substantial summer home than a facility of the Federal Government, the quarters building represents a sensitive adaptation of indigenous forms and materials.