Search

Search for a tour by category:

Search site:

Custer

Between Ferndale and Blaine the tour runs for miles through lands once containing with second-growth forests, logged-off wastelands, and small farms and poultry ranches. In clear weather the highway offers splendid panoramic views of the dark-forested foothills to the east.

Custer was once a shingle-manufacturing town, and is now a scattered community with small farms. Settlers named the place for A. W. Custer, a pioneer who operated a store and was the first postmaster in 1886.