Heritage Tours:

Search for a tour by category:

Search site:

string(50) ""


Founded by Joseph Dieringer in the 1880s. Mr. Dieringer was a migrant from Wisconsin who opened a restaurant in Tacoma and later bought a farm in the Stuck River Valley. The post office was established as Norwood on May 29, 1888, by Mr. Dieringer and was named for him on August 5, 1892. It closed on October 18, 1957. It is the site of a Puget Sound Power & Light Company hydroelectric plant west of Lake Tapps in north central Pierce County.

Points of Interest Points of Interest icon

Dieringer School

A campus of three masonry buildings is all that remains of the Dieringer community. The gymnasium and boiler plant were built in 1921, and the classroom building was built in 1928. It was designed by Tacoma architect Emanuel J. Bresemann, who was responsible for more than 20 schools in the Puget Sound area.