Dick Darlington owned and built this simple structure made up of vertically set logs in 1904. It is one of the last way stations that served the workers constructing Bumping Lake Reservoir. Darlington was as a camp cook for the Bureau of Reclamation during the dam construction (1901-10), and then worked gold and mineral claims in the area until the mid-teens. The lodge was used as a way station for goods and supplies headed for the dam. It gained notoriety as a “speakeasy” during prohibition and was known as a gathering place for miners and ranchers in the area.
Edgar Rock is a rock on the south bank of Naches River and was named during the Native American War of 1855-56 for John Edgar, who was killed by near Buckley on November 6, 1855. While acting as a scout for Lieut. W. A. Slaughter he met Native Americans at this rock who warned of strong forces under Qualchan, who were advancing to meet Slaughter’s small detachment coming across the Cascade Mountains from Western Washington.