On Hamma Hamma Bay, was a brisk town in the early 1900’s, when logging operations on the upper Hamma Hamma River were extensive. During the 1930s, a CCC side camp was stationed near the river. Weathered buildings along the bay and an abandoned railroad fill are reminders of this vanished activity. Constructed in 1924, two identical concrete tied-arch bridges that span the South Hamma Hamma River and North Hamma River on either side of Eldon are listed in the National Register for the innovative engineering employed at the time of construction.
North of Eldon US 101 swings across the Hamma Hamma River and again plunges into dense forests broken occasionally by small clearings and open spaces, which afford panoramic views of Hood Canal and the wooded shores beyond. Traces of development remain, with the Hamma Hamma Oyster Co. on the canal side and Camp Hamma Hamma against the mountain.