The city slumbers quietly along the highway. Pioneers in the middle forties settled here on the banks of the Newaukum. Several modern homes stand in the settlement today.
Located on the Julien Bernier Donation Land Claim. In the 1890s, it was established and named for an early schoolteacher, John T. Forrest. A local name is Newaukum Prarie. The post office at Forest operated from November, 1896 to March, 1934.