A shallow, 255-acre lake adjoining a residential area in Woodland Park is two miles north of Lake Union in north central Seattle. It is used extensively for recreation. The name, which was given by early Seattle settlers, describes the coloration of the lake’s water. In 1946, William F. Devin, who was once mayor of Seattle tried to have the lake officially named for Seattle banker Joshua Green. It is called Lake Green on an 1857 Washington Territorial map, published by the surveyor-general of the Territory. The Native American name for the lake was Du-tlec.