John Huelsdonk was an immigrant, born in the little principality of Lippe, along the border of Holland. He and his brother Cornelius filed on their homesteads, built a cabin, cleared a patch for a garden in 1891-92. The house was entirely of log construction, erected by the brothers. This first home burned down in 1928, and was replaced by the present home, built in 1930. This is a typical farm house, built of lumber native to this area. John became known for his strength and legend called him the “Iron Man of the Hoh”.