Jackson Prairie covers several square miles south of Chehalis and southeast of Napavine. It includes the land claim of John R. and Matilda N. Jackson, taken in 1845. It was named for these pioneers whose home was the first court house in Lewis County.
Points of Interest
Jackson Prairie Courthouse
The Jackson Prairie Courthouse is an ancient building that housed the first Federal court north of the Columbia River. John R. Jackson selected this spot for a home in 1844, and it became noted as a stopping place for travelers. The building was converted into a courthouse in 1850. A small one and one-half story structure of peeled logs, with hand-split cedar boards above the first floor, and a long old-fashioned porch, it is one of the State’s cherished landmarks. The building is separated from the highway by a cobblestone wall. Screened from the road by a jungle of old trees, its presence is indicated by an arched gateway. Today, it stands in a small grassy park on Jackson’s Prairie. The interior is still sparsely furnished, but can only be viewed through the windows.
Henry and Flossie Lucas Farm
Built in 1915, the dairy barn is still owned by Lucas family descendants. Both Henry and Flossie were respected farmers and active community volunteers. Henry served 57 years a school board director, and Flossie was known for her poultry and rabbit operation.