A life-saving station operated there for some years by the Coast Guard. This Indian name, meaning sunset was chosen by Capt. Theodore Conic, of the U.S. Coast Guard.
The earliest buildings constituting the Klipsan Beach Life Station were constructed in 1891 with the last structure, the radio tower, erected in 1931. At different times, the station served both the Coast Guard and the Navy until, in 1947, the government moved out. The National Register-listed site is now in private ownership and, despite some exterior alterations to various buildings, remains much as it did during its time of service.