A trading center for much of the Skagit River Delta country adjacent to Skagit Bay. In 1867, it started as a trading post. A year later a post office was established using the name Swinomish. In 1869, when John S. Conner purchased a store he changed the name to the present form, which is his last name preceded by his wife Louisa Ann’s initials.
The La Conner historic district encompasses the majority of downtown.