A low, sandy point of land is at the north end of the North Beach Peninsula. On July 5, 1788, it was named Low Point by Capt. John Meares. In 1852, Lieut. James Alden of U.S. Coast Survey changed the name to honor Lieut. Danville Leadbetter, an associate in the survey. The park is part of Willapa National Wildlife Refuge.