Marked by a few houses along the highway, this was a railroad shipping point for a farm and orchard district. Below the road, on a sloping hill, was the business section of the town, near which is a boxwood mill. There is no longer a boxwood mill in town. Trains pass through Lyle but no longer stop here. An early name was Klickitat Landing. In 1880, it was changed to the present name when James O. Lyle purchased the claim of J. M. Williamson, and platted a town site.
Points of Interest
The Lyle Hotel is a ca. 1905 railroad hotel, which offers lodging and gourmet meals in the restaurant.
In the Balch Cemetery near the town, a monument marks the grave of Frederick Homer Balch, author of the Bridge of the Gods, first published in 1890. This novel has long been considered a regional classic.