At the mouth of the Moclips River, it was once a center of cedar shingle and shake manufacturing. The name is a variation of the Quinault No-mo-Klopish, meaning “people of the turbulent water.”
Once a busy little settlement, supported largely by its shingle mill, opened by 1905. While the M.R. Shingle Mill no longer exists, evidence of its products can be seen in the shingle-clad housing that remains along Railroad Ave. and the town’s numbered streets. The Moclips High School serves the oceanside region north of Grays Harbor, and its gymnasium is used for community gatherings. Remnants of the Moclips Aloha High School remain, overgrown with vegetation and abandoned years ago.