Heritage Tours:

Search for a tour by category:

Search site:

string(50) ""


A bustling town with a small, compact business district. Naches began to grow in 1908 when valley farmers, aided by the Federal Government, started the irrigation system. Two apple-packing plants and a small sawmill, which cut box shooks (a bundle of parts ready to be put together) from yellow pine, were the economic backbone of the town. One of the packing establishments, a million-dollar concern in the 1940s, employed 250 men and women seasonally, and was owned and operated by Horticultural Union Local 21.

The name is from Naches River. Native Americans combined the word Naugh, meaning rough or turbulent with Chez, meaning water, to describe the river.


1973 view of Naches.

Source: Washington State Historical Society

1968 view of the Nelson House at Lower Naches, built 1905. Replaced an earlier stage coach stop and house.

Photo by Werner Lenggenhager. Source: Washington State Digital Archives

Historic view of the WHR listed Naches Band Stand.

Source: Washington Dept. of Archaeology and Historic Preservation

1958 elevated view of highway 410 and Layman Lumber Mill, west of Naches. Naches River at far right.

Source: Washington State Historical Society

Points of Interest Points of Interest icon

Naches Band Stand

This open-sided band stand was built in 1919 by the Naches Commercial Club. It straddles the Pacific Power and Light Canal. A popular gathering spot for young people, the band stand was moved and enclosed in the 1950’s. It was returned to its original location and renovated in 1984.