Near numerous oyster beds, is the site of a large oyster cannery. In 1889 Nahcotta became the northern terminal of a narrow-gauge railroad now abandoned, which once constituted the transportation system of the peninsula.
Oyster shells are still seen piled high at Nahcotta’s harbor, testimony to the continued importance of the plentiful beds.
At one time there were two adjoining towns. The south side was platted as Nachotta and the north side as Sealand. The town diminished as the oyster industry declined after 1881 Sealand was dropped. The name is for Chief Nachotte who guided early settlers to the oyster beds. A post office was established at Nahcotta on October 16, 1889 which was moved from place to place.