Located on John Urquhart’s Donation Land Claim. On December 17,1863, it was named by James Urquhart, using the Native American name which means small prairie. The Northern Pacific Railway adopted the name for their station in 1873. According to Native American pronunciation, the name should be spelled Napavoon. The city grew to become a trading and rail center of a dairy, poultry, and fruit district.