At the crest of a hill amidst dense stands of trees is a junction with North Head Lighthouse Road. A short jog of a few hundred yards leads to the high promontory of North Head, where a lighthouse stands above the sea. Completed in 1898, the North Head Lighthouse improved navigation for ships approaching from the north. Today, the lighthouse sits within the Cape Disappointment National Register Historic District and is open for tours.
North Head is the north entrance to the Columbia River west of Ilwaco in the southwest corner of Pacific County. A lighthouse on the head is 260 ft. high. The name, applied by Davidson in 1889, describes its location.