A community northeast of the east end of the Saddle Mountains. In 1907-1908, the name was accepted by H. R. Williams, vice president of Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway, for the site of its western division headquarters. It had been given to the local post office in 1904 by an early homesteader in memory of the Roane County, Tennessee post office of her youth. The town was incorporated in 1910.
Points of Interest
Built during the Great Depression out of scrap materials, the Othello Hotel is the city’s single remaining original hotel and the solitary railroad-associated structure.
First Presbyterian Church
This building represents the first established church membership and is the first house of worship to be constructed in the Othello area. Today it is one of the few remaining original buildings in the town. In addition to its historical value, this building has served as the community’s only cultural and social center for the period from 1908 until 1958, when its original owners discontinued use of it. It served as a hospital building during the flu epidemic of 1918-19 for those living too far or scattered to otherwise receive medical attention. It was freely used by groups of all religious denominations for their own and combined services. For the reasons, the building, though not commanding in appearance, is felt to hold a pivotal significance in the development of the life of this community.