Heritage Tours:

Search for a tour by category:

Search site:

string(50) ""

Pe Ell

A lumber town that was intended to be called Pierre, but became known as Pe Ell through the inability of the Native Americans to pronounce the “r’s” in the French name. The town was platted in 1891 by Omar Maurmann, first white settler; later many Polish families, attracted by the growing lumber industry, settled here. A large many-windowed Catholic church, a school, and a three-story rectory are among the outstanding buildings. St. Joseph Catholic Church still stands on Main St.