Pioneer Square-Skid Row Historic District marks the start of Seattle and the development into a major city. The historic district stemmed from the historic preservation movement of the 1960s that resulted in creation of the Pioneer Square Historic District in 1970.
Points of Interest
Union Station was constructed between 1910 and 1911 to serve the Union Pacific Railroad and the Milwaukee Road. Originally named the Oregon and Washington Station, the station discontinued all passenger service by 1971.
Triangle Hotel and Bar
Built 1909-1910, the Triangle Hotel and Bar is an example of early 20th Century building in the Tidelands development area. The triangular shape was dictated by the site at the intersection of a main thoroughfare and railroad trackage leading to the wharves of Seattle harbor.
Washington Street Public Boat Landing Facility
Built in 1920, the shelter served as a public boat landing, headquarters for the Harbor Patrol and as a landing for the United States Navy liberty boats. It was also used by the Port of Seattle as landing for crews of non-military ships at anchor in the harbor. The facility is significant not only for its attractive architecture and its connection with all phases of water-land transit, but also as the only remaining link in the Pioneer Square District with the historic waterfront.
The Pioneer Building was the first of three legacy buildings built by Seattle pioneer Henry Yesler after the Great Seattle Fire of June 1889. Designed by Elmer H. Fisher (1840-1905), it embodies the transition between Victorian and Romanesque Revival styles that became the hallmark of commercial buildings in Seattle following the fire.
King Street Station
King Street Station was built between 1904 and 1906 to serve the Great Northern Railway and Northern Pacific Railway from its grand opening on May 10, 1906 until the creation and start of Amtrak on May 1, 1971. Designed by the architectural firm of Reed and Stem, who were later associate designers for Grand Central Terminal in New York City, the Station is modeled after Campanile di San Marco in Venice, Italy, making it the tallest building in Seattle at the time of its construction. The tower contained four huge mechanical clock faces.