Native American for “fish”, at the mouth of Pysht River. Large log rafts are made up here for shipment to Puget Sound ports. A group of 20 buildings at Pysht was built as headquarters of the Merrill-Ring Logging Company. The ground was laid out and work started on the buildings in 1918. It is believed to be the best-planned logging headquarters in the State. The buildings, built mainly to house single men, are heavy and sturdy. Dining hall, club and recreation hall, theater, school, shops, and a roundhouse are laid out along the curving banks of the Pysht River, where logging railroads converge.
Several original company buildings remain today, serving as offices for Merrill-Ring’s Pysht Tree Farm.