Heritage Tours:

Search for a tour by category:

Search site:

string(50) ""


Former headquarters for the Long-Bell Lumber Company’s logging operations in the district. The town, built in 1923, was once a booming logging center. The dwindling of near-by timber resources and the effects of the depression are evidenced by weatherbeaten and boarded-up cottages. Through the 1940s a nursery was maintained here by the lumber company for reforestation. In 1953 Long-Bell sold Ryderwood to Senior Estates Inc., which turned the town into a retirement community. The town’s serene setting still attracts retirees from all over the nation.