Annexed to Seattle in 1907 the community grew up through Japanese and Italian farmers that worked small plots and supplied the Pike Place Market. World War II and industrial development dramatically changed the community’s setting, during the 1960s the entire city was rezoned as industrial, but community protest successfully changed the zoning to low-density residential.
The first name was Ox Bow, for a curve in the Duwamish River. An alternate name is South Park Junction. At the time the area was named it was in the south end of Seattle, so the name was descriptive.