The John Stanger House is perhaps the oldest home on its original site in Clark County. It was built by John Stanger, who came to the area from Scotland in 1838 as a millwright for the Hudson’s Bay Company. He settled on this land in the 1840s and received his donation land claim in the 1860s. This original two-room cabin was built about 1867 and is significant for its use of milled cedar planks—a rare construction method. The structure bridges that period in history between the HBC era and early U.S. settlement.