The city has a store, garage, restaurant, and radio shop. Here the valley widens abruptly. To the west, the river still wets the base of the hills, but eastward from the road and river lies a gently-rolling land of hayfields and orchards.
Points of Interest
The old town of Carlton stood at this site until 1927 when a change in the highway route left it a half mile off the main road. Residents shifted the town buildings to the present location, except for an old hotel which could not be moved; ancient and dilapidated, it is now occupied as a residence.