The site of a Hudson’s Bay Company trading post, and of a U.S. military camp during the San Juan Islands boundary dispute. The name was first used on British Admiralty charts in 1858. Captain Henry Richards of the Royal Navy chose the name because Hudson’s Bay Company loaded and unloaded cattle there prior to the settlement of the San Juan Island boundary. The Lummi Native American name for the point was Who-shung-ing.
Griffin Bay, named in honor of Charles John Griffin, overseer of the Hudson’s Bay Farm on San Juan and one of the principals in the pig controversy.