In 1889, a religious settlement was founded on rented land by George Cornwall and Martin Scotan (Scotten), the first postmaster. The settlers, wanting a Biblical name for their post office, suggested Macedonia. Postal authorities shortened it to Cedonia. Alternate spellings include Cidonia, Sedonia and Sadonia. The community sits on Harvey Creek, east of the Columbia River and south of Kettle Falls in southwest Stevens County.
Hills of greatly varying height and contour border the highway. Most of this area has been logged off, but much is again forested with young pine, fir, and tamarack.