Platted in a triangle, with its base on the Northern Pacific Railway. It is a pleasant busy town. Several railroad lines run through it. At one time Cheney was connected with Spokane by an electric interurban line, and for a decade or so, until the automobile cut into its traffic, the line and the town prospered. For a few years Cheney was the county seat, only to lose out in a bitter fight with Spokane Falls. Today, Cheney is a servicing and distribution center.
It was founded in 1880 and named Billings for Frederick Billings once president of Northern Pacific Railway. Early railroad surveyors had mapped the place as Depot Springs. Education-minded citizens wanted an academy and appealed to Benjamin P. Cheney of Boston, a director of Northern Pacific Railway Company. Cheney donated $10,000, and the town was named for him. Cheney was incorporated November 29, 1883.