A scattering of warped frame buildings. In the early 1900s, Colbert was a booming lumber town with five sawmills, two saloons, three livery stables, two blacksmith shops, and several stores. Within a few years, however, the available supply of merchantable timber had been logged. One by one, the mills closed down and were dismantled, and most of the inhabitants who did not turn to agriculture moved away. Today, Colbert is a small residential town just off the main highway, with just a few scattered homes and no services.
It was named for a local sawmill owner and operator William H. Colbert who was post master for a term beginning May 24, 1902.