An old community on the Nooksack River, platted before the turn of the century. This commercial center still exists, as does a small frame church with steeple at the intersection.
E. W. Owen, the first postmaster, gave the town its name in honor of the Deming Land Company, which had large holdings in the area. A Roman Catholic Mission was founded by Father J. B. Boulet in 1886, and in 1889 the settlers organized a school, which was held for four years in a renovated hen house.