Doe Bay is a small former fishing resort in a wooded cove.
The Doe Bay General Store and Post Office built in 1908, is representative of turn-of-the-century, rural commercial establishment which served the needs of the surrounding agricultural community. One of the few remaining unaltered examples of “false front” architecture in San Juan County, the store is closely associated with the development of agricultural trade and commerce in the isolate Doe Bay area.
Two islands south of Lawrence Point near the eastern end of Orcas Island in northeast San Juan County are called Peapod Rocks. The islands are called North and South Peapod, respectively. The northern island is larger and has a beacon. The islands were named in 1841 for their shape by Cmdr. Charles Wilkes. An alternate name on some maps is The Peapods.