Search

Search for a tour by category:

Search site:

Orcas Island

This 46 mile side trip loops around the saddle-bag shapped Orcas Island.

Heart icon

Like what you see? Want to share it?

Crosshair icon

Clicking a crosshair will take you to that location on the map.

George Washington icon

Start or the end of a tour leg.

Map marker icon

Waypoint or town along the tour leg with more information.

Star icon

Key waypoints and Main Street communities along the tour leg. Sites you do not want to miss!

Point of interest icon

Point of interest along the tour leg.

A small community south of the town of West Sound on the middle lobe of Orcas Island in central San Juan County. The place was named Orcas Island in 1873 for the island on which it is located. On November 2, 1898, the name was shortened to its present form. Today, the Lieber Haven Resort and Marina offers waterfront lodging at the landing. A wooden dock remains, extending into the...

Learn more about Orcas
Points of Interest
Point of interest icon

Orcas Hotel

A store and post office serve the community, represented by a row of attractive houses along the shore of White Beach Bay, an indentation of West Sound. West Sound is an inlet on the southwest side of Orcas Island. It was named Guerriere Bay by Cmdr. Charles Wilkes, for a British ship captured by U.S.S. Constitution during the War of 1812. In 1858, that name was replaced when the present...

Learn more about West Sound
Points of Interest
Point of interest icon

West Sound Community Hall

The Deer Harbor Community Clubhouse dates to 1905. In that year, the building was completed as a school. As early as 1892 the first schoolhouse was built on this site but was moved just prior to 1905. The building had two rooms, one for girls and one for boys as attendance reached 75 pupils. The building was used as a school until 1925 when District 16 was consolidated with the...

Learn more about Deer Harbor Community Club

A resort district on a small bight of the same name. Along the western cliffs of the shady green cove are feldspar deposits which reach 60 feet in thickness and 300 in depth. Feldspar is used in glazing pottery and manufacturing glass, but the demand has not justified development at this point. The town was named for the bay on which it is located. A post office was established at...

Learn more about Deer Harbor
Points of Interest
Point of interest icon

Pole Pass

Point of interest icon

Crane Island

This range is on the western peninsula of the island with an upper elevation of 1,497 ft., extending about five miles southwest and northeast. The name was placed on British admiralty charts by Capt. Henry Richards, of the Royal Navy in 1859. The profile of the range as viewed from the east, has a resemblance to the back of a turtle. On the southernmost summit of the Turtleback Range is...

Learn more about Turtle-Back Range

The school is an outstanding example of a frame, gable roof, one-room schoolhouse from the territorial period. Built in 1888 and believe to be the oldest schoolhouse still standing in San Juan County, the modest structure has retained excellent integrity and continues to reflect its historic character as a pioneer educational facility and an early center of community life on Orcas Island.

Learn more about Crow Valley School

A small community, though the largest on Orcas Island is at the head of East Sound. It was named for the body of water on which it is located. Comfortable old houses with orchards are scattered behind the few frame business buildings along the bay shore. This seven mile long bay, with an average width of two to three miles is in the central area of Orcas Island extending north...

Learn more about East Sound
Points of Interest
Point of interest icon

Emmanuel Episcopal Church

Point of interest icon

Fishing Bay

Point of interest icon

North Beach

Point of interest icon

Light Station

Point of interest icon

Sucia Island

Point of interest icon

Ship Bay

Point of interest icon

Orcas Island Historical Museum

Point of interest icon

Waldron Island

A resort on the east shore of East Sound at the head of Cascade Bay. It was founded by Andrew Newhall in 1890 as a saw mill named the Cascade Lumber Company. At that time, the post office was named Newhall. In 1905, Robert Moran, a prominent ship builder, bought Newhall's interest and on June 15, 1906, he changed the name to its present form. Moran built an estate, which...

Learn more about Rosario

A concrete bridge and flat arch marking the southern entrance to Moran State Park, a 3,325-acre tract donated by the pioneer shipbuilder, Robert Moran. The round arch, originally constructed in 1928, was later enlarged to allow bigger vehicles to pass under. This 4,804-acre park is on the east peninsula of Orcas Island. It was donated to the state by the famous ship builder, Robert Moran, who also served as mayor...

Learn more about Moran State Park
Points of Interest
Point of interest icon

Camp Moran

Point of interest icon

Cascade Lake

Point of interest icon

Stone Tower

Point of interest icon

Cascade Falls

A community on the east shore of East Sound at the head of Buck Bay. The name was adopted on March 3, 1890 when a post office was established. The name, Rosario, was proposed but was refused because of another post office by that name in the state. John Ohlert, owner of a local store and dance hall, suggested the name of his mother in Germany, Olga Ohlert, and it...

Learn more about Olga
Points of Interest
Point of interest icon

Strawberry Barreling Plant

Point of interest icon

Buck Bay

Doe Bay is a small former fishing resort in a wooded cove. The Doe Bay General Store and Post Office built in 1908, is representative of turn-of-the-century, rural commercial establishment which served the needs of the surrounding agricultural community. One of the few remaining unaltered examples of “false front” architecture in San Juan County, the store is closely associated with the development of agricultural trade and commerce in the isolate...

Learn more about Doe Bay