Heritage Tours:

Search for a tour by category:

Search site:

string(50) ""

Eagle Harbor

Nine miles from its starting point, the ferry slips behind the protecting arm of Wing Point, to the right, and enters Eagle Harbor, a wedge-shaped inlet less than half a mile wide at its mouth. Tipped with feathery green trees and dotted with country homes, the slender point thrusts out into the sea to form the north boundary of the harbor. On the left, a high bluff protects the inlet from the gusty “southwesters” that blow off the Sound. Small boats ride at anchor in the quiet water, or rest on the beach near the cottages along the shore. Eagle Harbor was thought to have been named by the Wilkes Expedition of 1841 for Henry Eagle, a Navy lieutenant.

The town that grew up around the harbor was first named Madrone and then became known as Winslow.


Ca. 1955 aerial view of Eagle Harbor (Winslow).

Source: Washington State Historical Society

1907 view of the Hall Brothers Shipyard at Eagle Harbor (Winslow), Bainbridge Island.

Photo by Asahel Curtis. Source: Washington State Historical Society

Ca. 1925 view of the Pacific Creosoting Company factory at Eagle Harbor.

Source: Washington State Historical Society

Points of Interest Points of Interest icon

Restoration Point

Vancouver anchored here in 1792, first calling it Village Point, but since celebrating Restoration Day here, the anniversary of the Stuarts’ return to the English throne, the name was changed to Restoration Point. On the reef off the point, the famed sloop-of-war, Decatur, first revenue cutter on Puget Sound, went aground in 1856, and the crew was barely able to make repairs in time to help rout the Indians in the Battle of Seattle (see Seattle). Cmdr. Charles Wilkes charted it as Gorden Point in 1841 for John Gorden, a quartermaster with the expedition. On some older maps it appears as Garden Point and a local name was Bean’s Point.

Wing Point

Located on the east shore of Bainbridge Island at the north entrance to Eagle Harbor, named by Cmdr. Charles Wilkes on the same day he named Eagle Harbor. Bill Point is across the bay from here and evidently, Wilkes related the two points to the “eagle” in Eagle Harbor.

Eagledale Ferry Dock

The former Eagledale ferry dock at the end of Taylor Avenue on Bainbridge Island exhibits the same setting, landscape, and feeling as in March 1942, when Bainbridge Island Japanese (Issei) and Japanese Americans (Nisei and Sansei) became the nation’s first Nikkei families to be forced to evacuate their homes and move into internment camps. Although the ferry dock itself is now gone, support beams and pilings remain, and the landscape and historic viewshed of the parking and staging areas have been neither developed nor altered.