The name is a Quillayute word, E-ilth-quat, meaning “elk.” When a post office was established it was named McDonald for W. D. McDonald, the first settler and postmaster. His name is now on a mountain with an elevation of 2570 feet southeast of the community.
Points of Interest
This property was originally homesteaded in 1892. The Hansen family came from Norway to Port Angeles. The fifth generation is now living on the farm. The barn was designed and built in 1937 by Henry Hansen. The barn was traditionally used as a dairy barn, but now is used to store hay and supplies for a herd of Scottish Highland cattle. Reported by the property owner to be one of the few remaining original homesteads on the Olympic Peninsula.