Heritage Tours:

Search for a tour by category:

Search site:

string(50) ""

Sequim to Forks

  • Distance: 75 miles
  • Routes: SR 101, SR 110, SR 112
  • Estimated Driving Time: 2 hours

The tour follows the route roughly parallels Juan de Fuca Strait then turns to the south wrapping around the west side of the Olympics. Practically encircled by the route is the wilderness of the Olympic National Forest and the Olympic National Park, a region of rugged, white-tipped peaks and alpine valleys, steep wooded foothills, glaciers and crystal lakes, and turbulent, icy streams fed by the melting snows of the high mountains.

Along the route of US 101 cultivated fields and substantial farmsteads alternate with wooded plots. On the left are rugged peaks, the northern outposts of the Olympic Mountains.

Choose route direction:

Heart icon

Like what you see? Want to share it?

Crosshair icon

Clicking a crosshair will take you to that location on the map.

George Washington icon

Start or the end of a tour leg.

Map marker icon

Waypoint or town along the tour leg with more information.

Star icon

Key waypoints and Main Street communities along the tour leg. Sites you do not want to miss!

Arrow icon

Spur or ‘side-trip’ off the main tour leg.

Point of interest icon

Point of interest along the tour leg.

Vanished location icon

Vanished sites are places with an important history that are no longer standing.

It has a dry, sunny climate, with low precipitation and irrigated farms being in the rain shadow of the Olympic Mountains. The name is a Clallam Native American word meaning quiet waters, pronounced “Skwim.” Sequim’s growth can be attributed to the relatively arid, sunny climate—in the 1990s and early 2000s, the area witnessed residential development, especially north, towards the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Each summer, Sequim attracts thousands of...

Learn more about Sequim
Points of Interest
Point of interest icon

Sequim Town Hall

On older maps it is shown as Fuca or De Fuca, the latter once being the name of the post office. It was named for Charles Agnew, a farmer and logger, who settled there in 1865. The Dungeness area Aircraft Warning Services Observation Tower stands near Agnew and is a rare reflection of the role of civilian volunteers in protecting American security and contributing to the home front war effort...

Learn more about Agnew

This creek rises in Olympic National Park in east central Clallam County and flows east and north to the Strait of Juan de Fuca east of Port Angeles. The stream was named for David Waterman Morse, a pioneer storekeeper, who was born on Morse Creek on April 19,1863. Eben G. Morse and Davis W. Morse homesteaded on the creek in 1863. It had previously been called Chambers Creek for Frank...

Learn more about Morse Creek (Chambers Creek)

Mile: 252

The largest city in and the seat of Clallam County, it is on the Strait of Juan de Fuca across the Strait from Victoria, British Columbia in northeast Clallam County. It has an excellent harbor and substantial industries. The city’s business section slopes gently to the harbor front, while the residential section lies on bluffs above. Recorded history of the city goes back to 1791, when Captain Francisco Eliza, exploring...

Learn more about Port Angeles
Points of Interest
Point of interest icon

Clallam County Courthouse

Point of interest icon

Port Angeles Civic Historic District

Point of interest icon

Ediz Hook

Point of interest icon

Masonic Temple

Point of interest icon

St. Andrews Episcopal Church

Point of interest icon

Naval Lodge Elks

Point of interest icon

US Post Office

Point of interest icon

Puget Sound Cooperative Colony

Sidetrip: Neah Bay

This 78 mile side trip follows the Strait of Juan de Fuca out to Neah Bay and the Makah Nation passing through several maritime communities and enjoying spectacular scenery.

Take the Neah Bay side trip

Tour affords fleeting glimpses of Lake Sutherland, a slipper-shaped body of water in a narrow basin near the foot of Mount Storm King. West of Lake Sutherland the highway winds about precipitous bluffs. This lake was named for John J. Sutherland, who came from Victoria with John Everett in 1856 to hunt and trap. He sold his furs to the Hudson's Bay Company post at Victoria. They also trapped on...

Learn more about Lake Sutherland

Mile: 234

A lake north of Crescent Mountain at the head of the South Fork of Spukwush Creek in the northwest sector of Mount Rainer National Park was named for nearby Crescent Mountain. It is drained by Spukwush Creek to the Carbon River.     Tour skirts the south shore of the lake. Cupped about by steep, forested mountain slopes, the lake’s smooth surface reflects an alpine setting that has made it...

Learn more about Lake Crescent

Mile: 229

Barnes Point is northeast of the mouth of Barnes Creek which empties into the south side of Lake Crescent. It was named for the Barnes family who settled nearby. The bulk of Mount Storm King rises to the south with the peaks of Lizard Head, Aurora, and Sourdough to the south and west.

Learn more about Barnes Point
Points of Interest
Point of interest icon

Rosemary Inn

Point of interest icon

Storm King Ranger Station

Point of interest icon

Mount Storm King

Point of interest icon

Singer’s Lake Crescent Tavern

Mile: 228

On the southwest shore of Lake Crescent. The name is French for frying pan or stove. The French spelling, La poele, was altered to La-po-el when it was adopted into Chinook Jargon. The place consists of a camp and guard station. Parratt notes that LaPoel creek rises in the hills below Sourdough Mountain and flows north into Lake Crescent and that for a time LaPoel, was "....once a bustling truck...

Learn more about La Poel Point

Mile: 224

One of the largest and longest rivers on the peninsula, the Soleduck River rises in Soleduck Park near High Divide in south central Clallam County and flows west to join the Bogachiel River east of La Push, where the two streams form the Quillayute River. Soleduck Park is a mountain meadow nearly a half mile long at the head of the Soleduck River and nearby Bridge Creek northwest of Mount...

Learn more about Sol Duc River

Mile: 215

Once a Bloedel-Donovan logging camp. By the 1940s, nondescript cottages, lined one against the other in a vast expanse of logged-off lands, and provided a startling contrast to the clean immensity of their mountain surroundings and to the swift rush of the Soleduck River, which flowed at their doorsteps. Not much remains in Sappho, save the logging operations of Rayonier and access to the Tumbling Rapids Recreation Area at nearby...

Learn more about Sappho

Mile: 204

A remnant of a former logging camp, is the site of the Lake Tyee Forest Camp. It was named for Beaver Creek. In 1911 it boasted a post office, hotel, store, and a public school. The prairie upon which it is located was called the “Heart of the Solduck Valley.” On the north side of US 101 sits the brick veneer, wood-frame Beaver School (1916). Several later buildings on the...

Learn more about Beaver

Mile: 202

The site of a projected community of Lake Pleasant which was to be built for the United States Army to house some 3,000 loggers and mill workers who were to produce spruce lumber for the World War One effort. The war ended before work got beyond the planning stages. The architectural firm of Bebb and Gould designed a community which was to be a model for lumber town construction of...

Learn more about Tyee

Mile: 200

Sidetrip: La Push

Mile: 193

This side 38 mile trip extends out to the Quillayute Native American Reservation. It was designated in the Quinault River Treaty of July 1, 1855, and was established by an executive order dated February 19, 1889.

Take the La Push side trip

A thriving little logging town near the forks of three rivers, the Calawah, the Bogachiel, and the Soleduck. In marked contrast to the surrounding wilderness and the generally ramshackle air of many small logging settlements, the town is well planned and presents a neat appearance. Modern stores border the main street, where mackinaw-shirted loggers once scraped their calked boots along the concrete walks. In the 1940s, the town had a...

Learn more about Forks
Points of Interest
Point of interest icon

Copeland House

Point of interest icon

Smith-Mansfield House

Point of interest icon

Forks Prairie

You've reached the end of the tour!

Take another?

Next Leg — Shelton to Sequim

Continue Tour

Next Leg — Sequim to Forks

Continue Tour

Next Leg — Forks to Hoquiam

Continue Tour

Next Leg — Hoquiam to Megler

Continue Tour

You've reached the end of the tour!

Take another?