Tour affords fleeting glimpses of Lake Sutherland, a slipper-shaped body of water in a narrow basin near the foot of Mount Storm King. West of Lake Sutherland the highway winds about precipitous bluffs.
This lake was named for John J. Sutherland, who came from Victoria with John Everett in 1856 to hunt and trap. He sold his furs to the Hudson’s Bay Company post at Victoria. They also trapped on Lake Crescent, which originally was named for Everett. On a map made by the surveyor general of Washington Territory dated 1886, it is called Shuecraft Lake.