Heritage Tours:

Search for a tour by category:

Search site:

string(50) ""

Fall City

Named for a man named Fall, who established a ferry and road house at a point where a concrete bridge now stands. He formerly was a foreman on cattle drives over Snoqualmie Pass for the Wadley & Phelps Company. The town’s location on the Snoqualmie River, at the spot where the river was no longer passable, gave it the early name “The Landing,” as steamboats ferried supplies up and downstream and the community grew, with poultry raising, dairying and truck farming as the main activities. When U.S. Highway 10 (today I-90) was rerouted between Issaquah and North Bend in the 1940s, it bypassed Fall City and changed its economy. It has developed into a bedroom community to cities like Seattle and others on the Eastside.

As late as 1934, men panned the sands below the bridge for gold along the Snoqualmie River.

Points of Interest Points of Interest icon

Falls City Masonic Hall

The Falls City Masonic Hall (“Falls City” was an early city designation) is a well-preserved community building that is directly associated with events that have contributed to the social history of the upper Snoqualmie River Valley. Constructed by and for the Falls City Masonic Lodge No. 66 between March and December of 1895, the building replaced an earlier meeting place that was destroyed by fire. While the Masons continue to meet there on a monthly basis, the hall currently also serves as a community meeting place for a number of local groups and organizations. The Fall City Masonic Hall is also significant because it embodies the distinctive characteristics of a social meeting hall, emblematic of the settlement of the American West. The building’s visual prominence, as well as the important role the Masonic Lodge has played in local history, further strengthen its architectural and historic significance.

Neighbor-Bennett House

The Neighbor-Bennett House is distinguished by simple vernacular design features, modest folk Victorian or Queen Anne style detailing and an unusual floor plan. It appears to have been constructed according to a standardized “plan book” design. The floor plan, building form, construction materials and architectural details are clearly associated with a design drawn from the Radford Ideal Homes publication. Such publications appear to have been popularly used for the design and construction of farm buildings and modest homes constructed elsewhere in the Snoqualmie Valley during this era. As such, this house contributes to the historic and architectural character of Fall City and reflects both local building traditions and broader state and national trends in home building and design. The Neighbor-Bennett House is also associated with two important Fall City families: The first owner, Emerson Neighbor, operated one of the town’s largest stores and pioneered the development of telephone service in Fall City; the second, Frank Bennett, established a successful milk hauling business that operated from this site.

Hop Curing Shed

Hops were the only commercial agricultural product shipped by boat to Seattle on the Snoqualmie River. The hop shed was built by Davis Rutherford in 1886, with the first transaction of hops recorded in 1886.This shed is the only remaining hop shed in ether the upper or lower Snoqualmie Valley.