Dating from the arrival of the railroads, Harrington was a shipping point for wheat and cattle. It features state and national historic register-listed brick building, Harrington Bank Block and Opera House, an imposing two-story structure designed and built in 1904 out of locally made bricks; the Opera House served as the center of entertainment in the community for four decades. Also find the Lincoln Hotel, a 1902-built single-room occupancy hotel.
The first settler in Harrington, Adam Luby, homesteaded on Coal Creek in 1879, and in 1883. Mrs. Emily H. Cutter platted the town on a land grant from the Northern Pacific Railroad. The town’s name commemorates a California banker and land speculator, W. P. Harrington, who with Seattle banker Jacob Furth, saw the investment possibilities attending the development of the fertile wheat lands of this region. Harrington was a solidly matter-of-fact town, with long lines of boxcars on the sidings, storage tanks for gasoline, grain elevators, and several flour and feed mills. Its busy Main Street was lined with small, well-constructed buildings, which included an “opera block” of red brick, ornamented with scroll work and a mansard roof, reminiscent of late Victorian architecture. Today, Main Street is Third Street/SR 23.