Search

Cultural History Pages:

Search for a tour by category:

Search site:

Horse Slaughter Camp

On the Site of Horse Slaughter Camp, Colonel George Wright’s troops in September 1858 shot 700 horses belonging to a band of Indian herders, in order to prevent the continuation of the war. For years farmers used the “bone pile” for fertilizer, and even today (as of 1941) bones of the slain ponies are occasionally found.