A small town with a post office, a tavern, and a general store, the town clings to the side of the road. Here the mountains close in on the valley, and the river flows quietly for a short distance between its rocky walls. It was named for Robert W. Jared, who settled in the valley in 1886. He operated a small store and when a post office was established February 24, 1909 he was appointed postmaster. Between Jared and Blueslide, the highway, continuing in a generally northerly direction, swings slightly eastward, crowded to the very edge of the river by the encroaching mountains. Pine and tamarack grow along the steep hillsides and, rooted in narrow ledges, lean over the brink of the canyon. Most of the merchantable timber has been logged in the immediate, vicinity, but in the river log booms can be seen occasionally.