Search

Cultural History Pages:

Search for a tour by category:

Search site:

Kristoferson Dairy

The dairy consists of two connected barns, a hay and a dairy barn, both built in 1914 and sited adjacent to one another for functional reasons. The connecting enclosed breezeway was added in 1938 and marks a shift in feeding practices and functional needs. The barns are distinctive of early 20th century craftsmanship and are among the largest and most visible barns on Camano Island. The barns convey the early twentieth century trend toward designs tailored to specific uses, such as dairying. Use of dimensional lumber corresponds with the 1900s increase in platform and balloon frame construction. The hay bam exhibits typical post and pier foundation along with notable detailing of ventilation in the gable ends. The dairy bam provides an intact example of monitor roof over a central aisle reflecting day lighting off painted plaster walls to the milking spaces below.

Return