Search

Cultural History Pages:

Search for a tour by category:

Search site:

Laurier

A group of white-painted houses, dominated by the customhouse, a large structure in Colonial style. Here are the personnel of the United States Customs and Immigration Service, a port of entry to the United States. A stopping point for wagon and pack trains in early days of mining excitement, Laurier, it is said, had at that time a population of 2,000. The surrounding region is mountainous and forested, with some tamarack and other timber.

Town business is mostly concerned with the operation of a U.S. Customs and Immigration Station. During the 1890s mining boom it had a population of about 2,000 and the present population is about 35. The name honors Sir Wilfred Laurier, prime minister of Canada from 1896 to 1911.

Points of Interest Points of Interest icon

U.S. Inspection Station

The U.S. Inspection Station was planned, designed, and constructed by the U.S. Government between 1928 and 1943 for use as a customs and immigration station at the International border with Canada. It was designed in late 1934 by the Supervising Architect of the U.S. Treasury, built in 1935, and retains most of its original program elements, including both original detached residences, now a rare condition among the remaining Public Works Administration (PWA)-era U.S. inspection stations. It was one of the first set of purpose-built U.S. Border Inspection Stations that were planned, designed and constructed to improve land border security. Its construction was in direct response to a chain of events including the imposition of head taxes and country quotas on immigration in 1917 and 1921, smuggling arising from the prohibition of alcohol in 1919, and the increase in usage of the automobile and improved roads in the 1920s.