The limestone industry of the San Juan Islands began in the 1860s. A small community grew up around a quarry and included a hotel, saloon, post office and at least twenty houses. The post office operated between 1879 and 1888.
A state park since 1984, limestone was first quarried at the site in 1860. In 1917, the U.S. Coast Guard erected a lighthouse at the point, with keeper’s quarters completed in 1919; both structures are listed in the National Register of Historic Places. While the Coast Guard continues to maintain the lighthouse for navigational assistance, the building also serves as a center for orca research, as the whales are often seen offshore.