Twelve miles long and four miles wide, Lopez Island deeply indented southern shore peppered with small islands and bare rocks, Lopez, with a population of 600, ranks third in size and agricultural importance among the San Juans. Its north coast is a salmon fishing center. The island was named in 1791 by Lieutenant Eliza for Lopez de Haro, thought to be the first to sight it. Several small settlements and a scattering of farming communities are connected by roads to the ferry landing at Upright Head.
The community of Lopez is on the west side of Lopez Island facing Upright Channel. The Lopez Island Historical Museum is there. A post office was established as Lopez Island on April 2, 1873, and changed to Lopez on February 8, 1895.