A multicolored cluster of buildings in a hollow on the North Fork of the Nooksack in a wild and rugged region. The settlement, on a branch line of the C.M.ST.P. & P.R.R., relied on logging, truck farming, and quarrying on Boulder Creek.
The first post office name of this saw mill and mining town was Hardan. In 1901, the post office was moved and the name changed to Maple Falls. The name was devised by G. A. King, who combined the nearby 35-ft. falls in Maple Creek with the abundance of maple trees along the creek.
Boulder Creek is a popular camping area with plenty of outdoor recreation available nearby such as hiking, swimming, fishing, and whitewater paddling on the Cedar River.
Maple Falls is now a small residential community that provides some amenities to travelers along the Mt. Baker Highway and those visiting Silver Lake Park.